Young son whose father, 46 carer, was beaten to a pulp and defended him from bullies, now finds him ‘scary’ to watch due to injuries – as three boys are charged with barbarian assault
- Alan Willson suffered a serious head injury after an attack in Worthing Park in April
- Mr Willson, 46, had rushed to the park to defend his 11-year-old son from teenage bullies
- His wife Annie, 49, says he’s back home now but still can’t eat or talk
An 11-year-old boy who saw his father beaten to a pulp while trying to defend his son from bullies now finds him ‘scary’ to watch because of his injuries.
Alan Willson, 46, had run from his home in Worthing, West Sussex, to nearby Longcroft Park when he heard a group threw his son to the ground on Easter Sunday this year, previous reports revealed.
But when he tried to get in, he was knocked unconscious before hitting his head with an object as his horrified son looked on.
The father suffered lung trauma, broken bones and fractures to his spine – and had to undergo brain surgery at the Royal Sussex County Hospital, Brighton, where he remained in a coma after the incident on the evening of Sunday, April 4.
Father of three Alan Willson (right) was seriously injured with serious brain damage after rushing from his home in Worthing to defend his 11-year-old son from bullies at a nearby park
Reportedly, Alan has now moved home as he continues to recover, but is still unable to talk or eat.
His wife Annie told the Sun that the incident has left the family in need of therapy for PTSD and that her son “now finds his father a little scary because he looks different.”
She told the paper: ‘He cannot speak and has lost sight in one eye and has now been determined to have no mental capacity due to four brain injuries.
“He can’t eat, so he gets a probe from me every three hours.
“He’s had such a major trauma to his face — he won’t even let us shave him because it’s an object coming at him.”
In the wake of the attack, Annie described her husband as “the most kind and gentle man in the world.”
Three teenagers aged 14, 15 and 17 have now been charged. In the photo: police on site in April
The police on the spot on April 4. Mr Willson’s wife, Annie, 49, had described her husband “fighting for his life after brain surgery for multiple brain hemorrhages” following the incident
Last week, police confirmed that three teenagers aged 14, 15 and 17 have now been charged with the attack.
The teens, who cannot be named by name for legal reasons, have been charged with GBH with intent, which carries a maximum life sentence.
They are due to appear before the Worthing Youth Court on October 7.
In the wake of the incident, an online appeal raised more than £35,000 to fund alterations to Willson’s home.
Ms Willson said in a statement: “I am so grateful to everyone for their well wishes and donations in the weeks and months following the attack on my husband.
“We have been overwhelmed and touched by the kindness and generosity that people have shown to me and my family.
“I want to thank the medical staff who have done such an amazing job looking after my husband in the hospital and my children for their support during what has been such a difficult time for all of us.”