Reason for sickening knife attack that left dad without an eye and horrific facial injuries revealed
The reason a young father was brutally beaten, stabbed and blinded by a group of private school teens has finally been revealed in horrifying detail.
Jalen Morrison, the only adult among the group of teenagers who allegedly assaulted Melbourne man Brett Halcro in a Pyrmont park on July 31 last year and left him for dead, pleaded guilty to one charge in a trial.
The court heard Morrison stole a bag of drugs from a man standing next to Halcro, after which Halcro, 36, was falsely accused of groping a girl who then called teens about it at a nearby party.
The call is believed to have infuriated the teens so much that they hounded Mr Halcro, cornered him and eventually stabbed him in the right eye. He can no longer look around.
After the vicious attack, Mr Halcro was left for dead in a park on the corner of Pyrmont Bridge Road and Wattle Streets.
A photo taken in Mr Halcro’s hospital ward at the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Sydney, where his family said he was in a coma for a week after the alleged attack
The ‘nice and genuine person’, who visited Sydney from Melbourne, was reportedly knocked off his rental bike and beaten before a teenager ran in and ‘slashed’ his face seven times and stabbed his eye with a knife
Morrison, 19, of Asquith in northern Sydney, pleaded guilty to assault involving actual bodily harm in company and will be sentenced next month.
The father of a four-year-old daughter from south-east Melbourne had moved to Sydney earlier last year to help his father renovate his house.
Court documents revealed that the teens attended a party that same night at an Airbnb apartment in Wattle Crescent, Pyrmont.
Morrison was talking to Mr Halcro and another man outside the hotel in Dunkirk at 10:20 p.m. when the second man showed him a bag of MDMA, the court heard.
A young woman joined them as they talked.
It is alleged that Morrison asked for a closer look at the bag and then walked away from the group with it.
“That looks sick, can I have a look at that?” Morrison would have said.
Nine teens charged with allegedly knocking Brett Halcro off his bike (pictured)
Nine teens have been arrested for allegedly assaulting a 36-year-old man in Pyrmont, Sydney, around 11 p.m. on July 31, 202.
Pictured: Police at the site of the alleged attack in Pyrmont, in central Sydney, last July
CCTV footage showed him celebrating the theft of the drugs.
The court heard that Halcro then chased the girl 200 yards down Pyrmont Bridge Road, where he came face to face with a teenager known to the teens at the party.
A witness at the party told police the meeting was interrupted by a phone call from a girl, who, when she turned on the loudspeaker, claimed “I was groped,” court documents said.
Two girls told police they saw five boys running out of an elevator. Court documents state that CCTV footage showed a boy leaving the unit wearing a black face mask and black gloves.
He was later shown to be the person who stabbed Mr Halcro in the eye.
According to statements by the girls to the police, they left the apartment about 20 seconds behind the boys and saw a man attacking on the floor.
A boy yelled at a blond girl, “Is this the one who raped you?” according to a court document.
“Yes, it is,” she would have replied.
Another partygoer reported seeing six or seven boys kick and punch a man on the floor.
Theresa Keecherer, Mr Halcro’s former partner with whom he shares a four-year-old daughter (pictured), previously said she struggles to explain to her daughter what happened to him
Pictured: Teens allegedly participated in the sickening attack on 36-year-old Mr Halcro
Previous evidence claimed that a boy, a Barker College student, pulled out a knife and “slit” Mr Halcro in the face up to seven times before slashing the knife “deep” in his right eye.
That boy, now 17, was sentenced in court after pleading guilty to, among other things, causing grievous bodily harm to a person with intent.
He faces a maximum of 25 years in prison.
Morrison was arrested at 2 a.m. the next day at Wattle Crescent’s apartment, wearing the same clothes as during the attack.
His DNA also matched crime scene samples.
Police subsequently tracked down and charged seven other boys with related crimes.
Seven teenagers charged with the attack appeared before a children’s court in Sydney on Thursday
Father-of-one Brett Halcro, 36, was reportedly attacked by a group of teenagers as he walked through a park in Sydney on July 31 last year. He is pictured before the alleged attack
Teen charged by police allegedly sent these text messages to a friend
Two were convicted of inflicting bodily harm in company, a crime punishable by a maximum sentence of two years in prison.
But the boys escaped conviction and were each released on 12 months’ probation.
Three others pleaded guilty and are due to appear in court next month.
In a previous court appearance, a 15-year-old boy claimed that watching the attack unfold made him laugh, court documents say.
“I stomped on him and knocked his head out, he was knocked out after I bottled him on the head,” the youngster is said to have written in a text message.
“I put the shattered bottle in his stomach and then cut (a co-defendant) 15 times in his face and stabbed him in the eye.”