Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Prince William ‘personally stepped in to help Afghan officer he knew from Sandhurst’

128

Prince William ensured the safe passage of a trapped Afghan soldier he knew from Sandhurst to the UK after learning of his plight.

The Duke of Cambridge, 39, decided to intervene after learning that the officer, whom he met while training at the military academy in Berkshire, had been locked up with his family in Kabul after the Taliban seized power earlier this month.

The Royal Navy’s equerry, Rob Dixon, was able to contact personnel in the region and the former cadet, who is believed to have served in the Afghan National Army, and his relatives were allowed to board a flight at Kabul airport to Great Britain. Britain.

The Duke’s intervention comes as Britain and America officially ended their military presence in Afghanistan this week – leaving behind hundreds of civilians and Afghan allies desperate to flee the country.

Prince William, 39, decided to intervene after learning that an Afghan officer he met while training in Sandhurst was trapped with his family in Kabul

The officer in Afghanistan had previously worked closely with British forces and his role had left him and his family, including women and children, in a vulnerable position in the country. The Daily Telegraph reports.

After his rescue, former paratrooper Major Andrew Fox said the Duke’s intervention was “completely consistent with what we teach in the military in terms of values.”

He told The Daily Telegraph: ‘I got 2 Para myself to run into the crowd and grab someone for me.

“It’s completely in line with what we learn in the military in terms of values, loyalty, respect for others, all that good stuff. We are trained to help where we can.

“The situation was so chaotic and frankly so badly managed that people would do anything to get out of it.”

Earlier this week, Britain and America officially ended their military presence in Afghanistan with the departure of the last US troops from Kabul airport.

And a night vision image showed US Major General Chris Donahue, commander of the 82nd Airborne Division, aboard a military transport as the last US soldier to leave Afghanistan after 20 years of war.

The RAF had made its final evacuation flight on Sunday to give US troops sufficient time to clear the ground before the deadline set by Joe Biden, ending a deployment that had begun in the wake of September 11.

The British government helped bring some 15,000 people to safety, but stories have emerged of interpreters helping the armed forces over the past 20 years and even people with British passports stranded behind Taliban checkpoints.

It is not known exactly how many people who were promised refuge in the UK were left behind.

Some 200 U.S. passport holders are now thought to live under Taliban rule, and an unknown number of Afghans pledged to leave refuge – believed to be in the thousands – as well.

British and US troops help evacuate people from Kabul, Afghanistan, after Taliban take power

British and US troops help evacuate people from Kabul, Afghanistan, after Taliban take power

Hundreds of people are trying to enter Pakistan this month, at Spin Boldak, Afghanistan

Hundreds of people are trying to enter Pakistan this month, at Spin Boldak, Afghanistan

The Taliban held a news conference at the Kabul airport on Monday, with spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid (center) saying the west's withdrawal should serve as a

The Taliban held a news conference at the Kabul airport on Monday, with spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid (center) saying the west’s withdrawal should serve as a “warning” to all future invaders.

“There is a lot of heartbreak associated with this departure,” General Frank McKenzie, head of US Central Command, said Monday evening. “We didn’t get everyone out that we wanted out. But I don’t think if we had stayed another ten days, we wouldn’t have gotten everyone out.’

Shortly after US forces left the airport, images emerged of Taliban Badri 313 units – known as the group’s “special forces” – securing the airport while dressed in US-made equipment and carrying US weapons – which more US helicopters, planes and vehicles seized in the Process.

On Tuesday morning, senior Taliban figures, including spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid, gathered on the runway for a celebratory press conference – the end of what they called “Western occupation.”

“Congratulations to Afghanistan… this victory belongs to all of us,” Mujahid told reporters, saying the Taliban’s victory is a “lesson for other invaders and for our future generation.” It is also a lesson to the world,” he added.

Many are reported to have already fled through Pakistan to the east and Iran to the west. The US and UK are still working on arrangements to evacuate people from these neighboring countries.

The departure of US troops means the conflict ends with the Taliban returning to power and Afghans very uncertain of what the future holds.

In a statement, Biden said the world would watch how the Taliban behaved.

“The Taliban have made pledges of safe passage and the world will hold them to their obligations,” he said, adding that negotiations continued to keep the airport open and ensure the delivery of humanitarian aid.

He added that he would address the nation on Tuesday and that his military leaders had agreed that the evacuation would not exceed the deadline.

“Their view was that ending our military mission was the best way to protect the lives of our troops and safeguard the prospects of civilian departure for those looking to leave Afghanistan in the coming weeks and months,” he said.

.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.