Football legend Pele jokes he’s ready to ‘play 90 minutes and extra time’ after 80-year-old leaves intensive care unit in Sao Paolo following surgery to remove a suspected colon tumor
- Football icon Pele has had surgery on his colon and has now left intensive care
- Three-time World Cup winner has been receiving care since earlier this month
- Doctors removed a tumor from his colon and Pele, 80, is still in hospital
- The Brazilian legend thanked fans for their support and joked on Instagram
Pele has been released from intensive care as the Brazilian football great continues his recovery from surgery – and he even had time to share a smiling photo online alongside joking.
The 80-year-old three-time World Cup winner has been at Alberto Einstein Hospital in Sao Paulo since doctors removed a tumor from his colon earlier this month.
However, he confirmed in a post on Instagram that he has now left intensive care and is looking cheerful, even joking that he was now ready to ’90 minutes and extra time!’ to play.
Pele shared a photo of himself smiling after being released from intensive care after surgery
80-year-old still in hospital recovering from colon surgery
He said, ‘My friends, this is a message for all of you. Don’t think for a moment that I haven’t read the thousands of loving messages I’ve received here.
“Thank you so much to each and every one of you who spent a minute of your day sending positive energy.
‘Love, love and love! I have already left the intensive care unit and am in my room. I go on with more joy every day, with a lot of potential to play 90 minutes, plus extra time. We’ll be together soon!’
Yesterday, his daughter Kely Nascimento confirmed that he would be transferred to a ‘regular room’ after the intensive care operation.
‘He is doing well after the surgery, he is in no pain and in a good mood (outraged that he can only eat jello but will persevere!). He will move to a regular room in a day or two and then go home,” Nascimento said on Instagram.
His daughter Kely Nascimento had shared a positive update on the health of the Brazilian legend
“He is strong and stubborn and with the support and care of Einstein’s brilliant team and all the love, energy and light the world sends, he will get through this!”
The hospital said last Friday that Pele was recovering satisfactorily.
His suspected tumor was discovered during routine tests and Pele underwent successful surgery.
After the procedure, his medical team said he was “conscious, actively conversing and maintaining normal vital signs.”
All-time great Pele has won the World Cup three times and is his country’s leading goalscorer
Pele, the former striker of Santos, has been struggling with health problems for several years.
In 2015, he had to undergo surgery on his prostate after being hospitalized twice in six months.
In 2019, he was hospitalized again for a urinary tract infection – and in February last year, his son Edinho said Pele was reluctant to leave the house due to hip problems.
“He’s very sheepish, withdrawn,” he said. ‘Imagine, he’s the king, he was always such an imposing figure and today he can’t walk well.
Pele, plagued by health problems in recent years, now uses a wheelchair on his public outings
“He’s ashamed, he doesn’t want to go out, be seen, or do practically anything that requires him to leave the house.”
Pele has been forced to use walkers and wheelchairs to get around during his scant public appearances in recent years, following a botched hip replacement in 2012.
After winning the 1958, 1962 and 1970 World Cups with Brazil, Pele remains an all-time great player and is his country’s top scorer with 77 goals in 92 matches.