Sydney nursing home, where 19 elderly residents died of Covid last year, is closed after an infected doctor visited three times
- Nursing home where 19 residents died of Covid in 2020 back in lockdown
- A doctor who tested positive for coronavirus visited for three days last week
- Every resident and staff member is tested and no cases have been found yet
A retirement home where 19 residents died of the coronavirus at the height of the 2020 outbreak has been locked again following new fears of exposure to Covid.
Newmarch House in Kingswood near Penrith is on high alert after an infected doctor visited the site on three different days last week.
Elderly care operators were told on Tuesday that the doctor had visited one patient every evening of September 10, 11 and 13 before returning a positive Covid test.
Those three close contact patients tested negative, Newmarch House operators Anglicare said Wednesday.
Newmarch House (pictured) near Penrith is back on lock after a Covid-infected doctor visited for three days last week
Anglicare have activated their Outbreak Management Plan, testing every resident and staff member – with no positive cases found as of Wednesday morning.
General Manager Stewart James wrote in a letter that residents have been advised to remain in their rooms with doors closed for “infection control purposes.”
In 2020, after COVID-19 swept through the facility, 19 residents died with an investigation, later learning that there was confusion over PPE protocols and whether patients should have been transferred to the hospital.
‘Anglicare is working closely with NSW Health and the Public Health Unit to ensure we are responding appropriately,’ said Mr James.
NSW reported 1,127 more locally acquired COVID-19 cases and two more deaths on Tuesday.
There are 1,253 COVID-19 patients in state hospitals, 231 of whom are in intensive care.
NSW Health’s Jeremy McAnulty said it was “too early to know” if the number of cases is leveling off after the state recorded its lowest daily total in nearly two weeks.
“We see… that the number of cases has not increased as quickly as before, but that could be a result of the weekend,” he said.
Every staff member and resident of Newmarch House (pictured) is being tested for coronavirus and no new cases have been found yet
“We’ll see what happens for the rest of this week to find out where we stand.”
NSW is likely to reach 80% of its first dose of COVID-19 vaccination coverage in people aged 16 and older on Wednesday, as authorities try to contain the spread of the virus in the Illawarra.
About 79.5 percent of NSW over 16s had reported getting at least one shot by Tuesday, and 47.5 percent had been fully vaccinated.
According to the NSW government’s roadmap, vaccinated people will be released from lockdown when the state reaches 70 percent double dose coverage – expected in about a month.
More changes will be activated at 80 percent, including international travel and major events.