Take a fresh look at your lifestyle.

Mum sparks outrage with the snack box she packed for her picky toddler at daycare

63

A mother has sparked outrage after sharing a photo of the lunch box she packed for her fussy toddler at daycare, with hundreds criticizing her for using popcorn, chopped carrots and nuts.

The Australian woman named Tamika posted on Facebook where she wrote: ‘This is lunch and snacks for my fussy toddler (13 months old) at daycare tomorrow.

“She gets protein for dinner,” Tamika added.

A mother has sparked outrage after sharing a photo of the lunchbox she packed for her fussy toddler at daycare, with hundreds criticizing her for including popcorn and nuts (pictured)

Poll

Do you think the lunch box is unsafe for a 13-month-old child?

The lunch and snack box contained some popcorn, chopped carrot and cucumber, dried bananas, raisins and nuts, along with a piece of cheese.

Before long, dozens of other mothers weighed in and said it was “dangerous” to feed such a young child popcorn and raw carrots, and not to bring nuts to daycare.

“Popcorn is not recommended under the age of five, and it is especially not recommended for a 13-month-old child,” one commenter wrote.

Another added: ‘Popcorn, whole nuts and raw carrot is really the trifecta of food with a very high risk of choking for a young toddler’.

Earlier, parenting organization Tiny Hearts shared the food, including a cherry, popcorn, a grape, a coin and other choking hazards (pictured)

Earlier, parenting organization Tiny Hearts shared the food, including a cherry, popcorn, a grape, a coin and other choking hazards (pictured)

Some rushed to defend the woman, saying, “You should all be ashamed, leave the lunchbox alone.”

Others shared their own experiences with popcorn, and how terrifying it can be for children.

“I saw my child choking on popcorn right in front of me (she was fully supervised),” one mother wrote.

“The problem is the composition of popcorn, not how the child chews. It is light and it is absorbed very quickly in the respiratory tract. The added bits on the outside of popcorn help with choking, which is why adults can choke so easily.”

She added: “Some kids may be okay with it, but others may die like my kid almost did. Awareness is key because if I’d known it wasn’t recommended for young children, she wouldn’t have eaten it.”

A mother also issued a dire warning to parents after her three-year-old nearly died from choking on popcorn (Picture: Cheree's daughter Sophie in hospital)

A mother also issued a dire warning to parents after her three-year-old nearly died from choking on popcorn (Picture: Cheree’s daughter Sophie in hospital)

This warning comes after a mother issued a warning to all parents after her three-year-old daughter ‘nearly died’ from eating popcorn.

Cheree Lawrence, 34, from Brisbane, said her little girl Sophie was rushed to the emergency room after she started ‘choking’ in front of the TV.

“I didn’t think twice about feeding my three-year-old popcorn… She’d eaten popcorn before; all my kids grew up with popcorn in their lunchbox,” she told FEMAIL.

“I had no idea how dangerous it is for young children to aspirate, or that children under the age of five should not have popcorn at all.”

By the time the concerned mother and daughter arrived at the hospital, Cheree said Sophie’s wheezing was getting “pretty scary.”

“She also had a high-pitched whistling sound when breathing,” she said.

The mother said her daughter’s symptoms lasted for weeks, but they were sent home on steroids, antibiotics and Ventolin.

Five weeks later, Sophie was taken to emergency surgery, where the popcorn she had sucked was removed.

“The popcorn had caused some damage to her lung because it had been sitting there for five long weeks and was slowly breaking down,” Cheree said.

‘To this day, Sophie [who’s now five years old] still has popcorn from the popcorn and is on two types of drugs to help her.”

The facts about choking and what to do about it revealed

Choking is what happens when something gets stuck in a person’s throat or windpipe, partially or completely blocking airflow to their lungs.

In adults, choking usually occurs when a piece of food enters the trachea rather than the food pipe. Babies and young children can choke on anything smaller than a D battery.

Sometimes the trachea is only partially blocked. If the person can still breathe, he will probably be able to push the object out by coughing vigorously. Be careful not to do anything that pushes the blockage further into the trachea, such as banging on the person’s back while standing up.

If the object completely occludes the airway and the person is unable to breathe, it is now a medical emergency. The brain can only survive for a few minutes without oxygen.

Symptoms include throat tightness, difficulty breathing, and blue lips.

With children and adults over one year old and choking, you should try to keep the person calm. Ask them to cough to remove the object and if this doesn’t work, call triple zero (000). Bend the person forward and give him up to 5 sharp blows to the back between the shoulder blades with the heel of one hand. Check after each stroke that the blockage has been cleared.

If the blockage is still not cleared after 5 strokes, place one hand in the center of the person’s back for support. Place the heel of the other hand on the lower half of the sternum (in the central part of the chest). Press hard into the chest with a quick upward thrust, as if trying to lift the person. After each punch, check that the blockage has been released. If the blockage is not resolved after 5 punches, continue alternating 5 backstrokes with 5 chest punches until medical help arrives.

Source: Health directly

.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.