India offers to play two additional T20 internationals in England next summer to make up for fifth test cancellation due to Covid concerns
- India has offered to play two additional T20 internationals in England next summer
- The offer would, rather, not be as good as the rescheduled fifth Test
- The Old Trafford test was canceled last week due to Covid concerns over India
The BCCI has offered to play two additional T20 internationals in England next summer following the last minute cancellation of the fifth Test in Manchester due to Covid concerns in the Indian camp.
However, the offer – intended to help reduce a potential £40m shortfall in English cricket’s already stretched budget – would not be as good as the rescheduled Test. The offer of a rescheduled Test still stands.
The ECB would consider the move to mitigate their losses.
India has offered to play two additional T20 internationals in England next summer
India took on the England whiteball team earlier this year on a tour for Eoin Morgan’s side
It may depend on whether the various broadcasters, who paid £25million for the rights to the Old Trafford Test, would be willing to settle for two nights of cricket instead of five full days.
There’s also the matter of business hospitality, tickets and food and drink, with the potential revenue from a full test match – over £10m for the Manchester match – far more than what a few T20s could generate.
India, with many players now quarantined in the UAE ahead of Sunday’s delayed IPL restart, will be back in England next summer for three T20 and three one-day internationals, all squeezed into the first two weeks of July.
The offer wouldn’t be as good as the fifth test, which was canceled late
The offer aims to reduce a potential £40m shortfall in English cricket’s budget
There are then five days before the start of six whiteball matches against South Africa. Old Trafford is already slated to stage the first of the T20s against India, as well as the second ODI against the South Africans.
Meanwhile, there is still confusion over the result of the Test Series, which led India 2-1 before the halted game.
The ECB says they have approached the ICC to argue that India has forfeited the match and that the series should be 2-2 – a scenario that would help with their insurance claim.
But the ICC says they have not yet heard from the ECB and no decision has been made on the status of the test.