Everton will not be prosecuted for refusing to release Richarlison for World Cup qualifiers in Brazil
Everton will not face charges for refusing to release Richarlison from World Cup qualifiers after Brazil canceled his call-up after the striker played in both the Copa America and Olympics
- Brazil has agreed to cancel Richarlison’s international appeal this month
- It means Everton will escape the reference to FIFA for failing to release the striker
- Brazilian FA said decision was based on good relationship with Everton
- Brazil continues with complaints against five other Premier League clubs
Brazil has agreed to cancel Richarlison’s international call-up for this month’s World Cup qualifiers after the striker played at both the Copa America and the Olympics earlier this summer.
It means Everton will evade the reference to FIFA for failing to release him and Rafa Bentiez could plan to sign the 24-year-old for the next game, at home to Burnley after the international break.
The Brazilian Football Association said the good working relationship with Everton was behind the decision to leave Richarlison.
Brazil has agreed to cancel Richarlison’s international call up for World Cup qualifiers
But they plan to press ahead with complaints against five other Premier League clubs that have not released eight players selected by manager Tite for the qualifiers against Chile, Argentina and Peru.
These players are Fabinho, Roberto Firmino and Alisson of Liverpool, Ederson and Gabriel Jesus of Manchester City, Thiago Silva of Chelsea, Fred of Manchester United and Raphinha of Leeds.
FIFA will be asked to invoke its five-day suspension and pronounce it eight out of one or two club matches.
Brazil’s FA said good working relationship with Everton was behind the decision
Brazil has been badly hit by the pact between Premier League clubs not to release players to play international matches in red-listed countries.
And boss Tite was dealt another blow when Malcom and Claudinho were recalled by Zenit St Petersburg in the hopes that they will be available for Chelsea in the Champions League at Stamford Bridge on September 14.
Zenit seems to have realized too late that without quarantine their Brazilian stars would not be allowed to enter the UK if they stayed in South America.
Richarlison helped Brazil win the Copa America and Olympic gold earlier this summer
Malcom and Claudinho met the squad earlier this week in Brazil, but instead of flying to Chile for the first of qualifiers, they flew back to Russia on Wednesday.
The Brazilian FA lodged a complaint with FIFA and issued a statement urging the Football Association to impose “all appropriate penalties” on Zenit.
A five-day suspension would exclude Malcom and Claudinho from the Chelsea game as it comes on the fifth day after Brazil’s qualification against Peru, on Thursday, September 9.
Chile, Paraguay and Mexico are also said to be considering complaints against English clubs for not releasing players.
Malcom has been recalled by Zenit St Petersburg amid growing fears of quarantine
The Russians have also ordered Claudinho to come back and miss Brazil’s remaining ties