CONCACAF reveals they are open to hosting the World Cup every two years, despite Arsène Wenger’s proposal being criticized… and after Aleksander Ceferin warned European countries could stage boycotts
- CONCACAF has revealed that they are open to a World Cup every two years
- They say they recognize the merits of a new calendar and a balanced structure
- FIFA Congress voted to conduct a feasibility study for a biennial event
- Arsene Wenger has pushed for the proposal, which has been heavily criticized
The Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) said Monday it would be open to the idea of a biannual World Cup, provided it creates a more balanced structure for the game globally.
CONCACAF said it recognized the merits of creating a new football calendar if it meant fewer international windows, less travel for players and more competitive matches rather than friendlies.
FIFA Congress voted to conduct a feasibility study to host the Men’s and Women’s World Cup every two years, a proposal that met opposition, but CONCACAF has called for wider consultation with stakeholders.
CONCACAF has revealed they would be open to hosting the World Cup every two years
Arsene Wenger, now the head of global football development at FIFA, has pushed for the idea
“We will continue to review these proposals constructively, with an open mind and in the spirit of positive engagement,” CONCACAF said in a statement.
“While CONCACAF immediately focuses on its own region, we also believe in the importance of being part of the global football family and will listen to the views of football stakeholders in all parts of the world.
“We encourage not only our fellow confederations, but all members of the global football family to come together and work together to create FIFA calendars and competitions that benefit the development of the game in all regions around the world. ‘
UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin has warned European countries could boycott the World Cup
Last week, the South American Football Confederation (CONMEBOL) criticized the proposal, saying it was “very unfeasible” and would flood the football calendar.
The European football association UEFA also rejected the idea.
The president, Aleksander Ceferin, warned European countries could boycott the World Cup if FIFA plans to continue the biennial event.