A driver who allegedly went the wrong way on a Brooklyn street and caused a collision that killed a three-month-old girl, tried to steal another car to get away, and asked arresting officers to get him out with a ticket to leave. said.
Tyrik Mott, 28, was arraigned Sunday before the Brooklyn Criminal Court on charges of attempted grand larceny, attempted robbery and resisting arrest. Prosecutors say more charges are expected Monday.
Police say Mott blew a red light on Clinton Hill on Saturday night and went the wrong way down a street before driving a black 2020 Honda Civic coming from the opposite direction.
One of the cars then drove onto the sidewalk and crashed into a stroller containing a three-month-old baby who was being pushed by her mother.
The girl – identified Sunday as Apolline Mong-Guillemin – was rushed to Brooklyn Hospital, where she died of her injuries. New York Daily News reports.
Her 33-year-old mother was taken to New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital in serious condition and underwent surgery.
A 36-year-old man who was also on the street and the 49-year-old woman in the Civic that was hit were also injured and taken to hospital.
After the crash, Mott reportedly attempted to steal a 2020 Hyundai from a 41-year-old man in an attempt to get away, prosecutors said at his hearing.
Police say Tyrik Mott, 28, blew a red light on Clinton Hill on Saturday night and went the wrong way down a street before colliding with a black 2020 Honda Civic
One of the cars then drove onto the sidewalk and crashed into a stroller with a three-month-old baby in it who was pushed by her mother
Assistant District Attorney Tzyonah Langsam said Mott fell to the ground near the car, making the driver think he needed help.
When the driver got out, Mott reportedly jumped in and tried to grab the steering wheel, but walked away when he noticed the man’s wife was still in the car, the Daily News reports.
He was eventually picked up by officers nearby.
Langsam told the court that Mott asked the arresting officers “if he could just get a ticket.”
It also turned out that the car Mott had driven had already committed 160 traffic violations New York Post reports.
Mott was ordered by Judge Deepa Ambekar to hold on to a $100,000 cash bond or a $200,000 partially secured bond during Sunday’s hearing.
During the arraignment, Mott’s mother, who identified herself only as Ms. Mott, defended her son in a brief interview with the Post.
She insisted, “He’s a good boy.”
Police are looking for another suspect in the case who was reportedly in the vehicle with Mott at the time of the accident.
Baby’s mother was taken to New York – Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital in critical condition
Mott was arraigned in Brooklyn Criminal Court on Sunday to face attempted robbery, grand theft and standing charges.
Mott’s attorney Lance Lazzaro rejected the decision to detain his client for attempted theft, insisting it was a delaying tactic to prevent his release under New York’s bail reform laws.
He told the Daily News: ‘If he were charged in that accident, he would be in court today on those charges. If those charges are filed at some point, that’s a story for another day. But it doesn’t matter whether or not bail has to be established in this case.’
He said his client should be released because he has no criminal record.
However, police have said that Mott had been arrested three times before and that his driver’s license had been revoked.
He has also had 91 school zone speeding violations since 2017, with 35 for this year, according to Brooklyn Borough president Eric Adams.
A spokesman for New York Mayor Bill De Blasio told the Daily News that an investigation is underway into how Mott was allowed to drive with so many traffic violations.
Mott has previously faced 91 speeding violations at school, has his driver’s license suspended and has been arrested three times
The investigation continues as police search for another suspect who was in the vehicle with Mott at the time of the crash.
De Blasio said, “Something in the law has been broken because if you hurt someone with a car, it shouldn’t be any different than if you do it with a gun.”
De Blasio continues to pressure Governor Kathy Hochul to sign for the Crash Victims Right and Safety Act so that it can be passed.
The law is a state law intended to reduce the number of injuries and deaths from road accidents.
The idea for the bill came to De Blasio in May after he attended the funeral of NYPD officer Anastasios Tsakos who was killed by a drunk driver.
De Blasio touted August as one of the safest, despite rising rates in May, June and July, blaming the courts for not processing criminals quickly enough.
“In fact, the number of total index crimes reported in the city through the end of August is the lowest for the first eight months of a calendar year since the beginning of the modern CompStat era nearly three decades ago,” the police said. last week, referring to the current crime counting system.
Crime in NYC is down 0.9 percent in total crime through September 12 this year
During one of his daily remote press conferences last month, de Blasio revealed that there were only 18 trial sentences in the five boroughs in the first half of 2021, compared to 405 in the same time in 2019.
State courts outside New York City issued 118 sentences in the first eight months of the year.
“That’s not good enough,” the mayor said, after praising the New York City Police Department for making a record number of gun-related arrests and highlighting the work of community activists.
A court spokesman accused the mayor of “gaslighting” the public with his accusation.
“Once again, the mayor shows his egregious lack of understanding of the criminal justice process in this state,” Lucian Chaifen, communications director for the Office of Court Administration, said in a statement.
“His gaslighting rhetoric about judicial operations in an effort to shift the public safety discussion continues.”
The spokesperson argued that the justice system has been back to full strength since May, and reprimanded prosecutors and defense lawyers for being unwilling to try their cases.
But Chaifen acknowledged that due to social distancing requirements, only three trials can now be held simultaneously in each province, compared to up to a dozen before the pandemic.