More young children are getting sick from edible cannabis

0

“The children I’ve cared for and heard about in our hospital have all recovered,” said Dr. Lois Lee, and associate professor of pediatrics and emergency medicine at Harvard Medical School. “But some had to be hospitalized for treatment and monitoring. And others were in the emergency department for hours, while their parents waited for them to improve enough to be discharged home safely.”

If you think your child may have ingested cannabis, call Poison Control to talk to someone right away, said Dr. Lee.

Poison Control can also advise you when it is necessary to seek medical care.

If your child has more severe symptoms — such as vomiting, cramping, difficulty breathing, or not waking up — it’s best to go straight to the emergency room, where the doctors can perform toxicology tests and provide oxygen and other treatments if necessary, added Dr. Lee to it.

“Many kids don’t need any substantial treatment, just observation until they wake up,” she said.

First, don’t assume that child-resistant packaging alone will stop a determined child from eating your edibles.

“Parents and caregivers should always keep cannabis products, especially edibles, safely out of the reach of children,” said Dr. whitehill. “Kids are really smart and some kids just get caught up in everything, so it’s a good idea to lock it up — like you would with certain drugs.”

“Locked down is best, if possible,” agrees Kaitlyn Brown, the clinical director of the American Association of Poison Control Centers. “Parents think they have something on top of the fridge, completely out of reach, out of sight, and the next thing they know is their 2-year-old is a climber and is climbing the counter.”

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.